Recommended Studios in Brisbane

A place for general chit-chat, hanging out, off topic stuff, shooting the breeze, ranting, introducing yourself to the forum, saying "Hi!", etc.
Willo

Postby Willo » Tue, 2023-Sep-26, 04:21

Hey Studio Design Forum members,

I'm a long time lurker from the John Sayers forums. They say talent skips a generation and I had visions of building a little studio to create baseline tracks for my wife who sung and wrote songs.

Best laid plans of mice and men and all that stuff. Well, my daughter has turned out to be a very talented singer/songwriter. She's become a little shy since the Covid lockdowns in Melbourne, Vic, Australia and is now ready to do something with her music. She would like to get into a studio and record a cover to work out the process, how recording studios work, sound and build a connection with the sound engineer before recording originals.

Can anyone recommend a good recording studio in Brisbane, QLD that will be kind when working with a new artist who is just emboarking on their journey and produces a great sound.

The artist plays piano and is Estil trained.

Cheers

Willo

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Tue, 2023-Sep-26, 04:27

Hi there Willo, and Welcome to the forum! :thu: :),

I don't live in Australia (even though I was born there), but I sure do wish you luck with finding a place for your daughter! Hopefully some forum member who knows the Brisbane area will be able to help you. About the closest I can get is with a client in Lismore, whose studio I designed years ago... but Lismore is a long way from Brisbane!

Do let us know how it goes.

- Stuart -

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Tue, 2023-Sep-26, 08:54

there are a couple of paths to follow: production and engineering. how the music is written, performed, mixed and publicised is "production" and may involve technical aspects. "engineering" is the technical side - acoustics, wiring, equipment setup, recording, and so on. it's definitely good to be able to do both. :-) and in personal studios you typical do.

i had designed a studio for someone in Brisbane about 20 years ago but they passed and the studio closed. one thought - if your daughter can connect with a local producer - that person should have access to other people who have studios, musicians, etc needed to navigate the process and gear.

another option, if you have a spare room you can do some basic treatment on, then it's fully possible to record at home. invest in a small quality mixer (for it's preamps and/or MIDI controller function - but importantly learning how signal flows work) and a decent computer, monitors, and headphones, and two or three good mics (e.g. SM-57, Behringer B-2, A-T 4033) to learn how to mic instruments and vocals. nothing replaces hands-on and a simple "studio" set up will work - to wit: Billie Eilish and many others doing their main song writing and recording work in a bedroom sized "studio".

Willo

Postby Willo » Tue, 2023-Sep-26, 19:41

Soundman2020 wrote:Source of the post Hi there Willo, and Welcome to the forum! :thu: :),

I don't live in Australia (even though I was born there), but I sure do wish you luck with finding a place for your daughter! Hopefully some forum member who knows the Brisbane area will be able to help you. About the closest I can get is with a client in Lismore, whose studio I designed years ago... but Lismore is a long way from Brisbane!

Do let us know how it goes.

- Stuart -

Thanks Stuart,

Probably best you aren't here, likely not the place you once knew. We certainly moved recently and I can say Brisbane is a great place to live.

You know Lismore isn't 'that' far away, if I can't find anything I'll yell out.

gullfo wrote:Source of the post there are a couple of paths to follow: production and engineering. how the music is written, performed, mixed and publicised is "production" and may involve technical aspects. "engineering" is the technical side - acoustics, wiring, equipment setup, recording, and so on. it's definitely good to be able to do both. :-) and in personal studios you typical do.

i had designed a studio for someone in Brisbane about 20 years ago but they passed and the studio closed. one thought - if your daughter can connect with a local producer - that person should have access to other people who have studios, musicians, etc needed to navigate the process and gear.

another option, if you have a spare room you can do some basic treatment on, then it's fully possible to record at home. invest in a small quality mixer (for it's preamps and/or MIDI controller function - but importantly learning how signal flows work) and a decent computer, monitors, and headphones, and two or three good mics (e.g. SM-57, Behringer B-2, A-T 4033) to learn how to mic instruments and vocals. nothing replaces hands-on and a simple "studio" set up will work - to wit: Billie Eilish and many others doing their main song writing and recording work in a bedroom sized "studio".

Hey Gulfo,
Thanks for the heads up on Production vs Engineering, I could benefit more from that. We are big newbies to this and have heard so many stories of 'artists' not actually getting much income due to the way the rotalties and rights work. So the 'production' part is of super importance to us and making sure we don't end up in a lousy* deal.
My daughters voice is very good and has excellent range, but is quite a perfectionist and with that comes being hard on herself. Her writing is good, I don't have a lick of talent, but the songs are more deep and soulful which is a pleasant change from a lot of the cookie cutter boobs and bum style music I hear.

Happy to share my personal details if you or Stuart are willing to impart some knowledge on a complete numpty :)