Document Library

Useful tools, documents, links, reference materials and other items that might be of help in designing or building your studio.
Forum rules
RULES FOR THE DOWNLOAD AREA:
Some things on this page may be protected by copyright, trademarks, or other intellectual property rights. To the best of my knowledge, everything here is freely available in the public domain (especially my own stuff that I'm releasing here!). However, if you do find something that you think is a copyright infringement, please let me know and I'll remove it or add any necessary accreditation.

Regarding my own items listed on this forum (tools, articles, photos, advice, etc.) they are all released without any claim of fitness for a purpose, correctness, or any other representation at all. Use them entirely at your own risk. I am not responsible for anything here on the forum, nor for what you do with it, nor for any results you obtain, or fail to obtain, from using any information or other item that you find here.

If you would like to upload your own items here that you think might be useful to others, please contact me by Private Message ("PM").
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Document Library

Postby Soundman2020 » Fri, 2019-Sep-20, 14:09

Documents that might be helpful in designing and building your studio:

Wyle WR 73-5R.pdf
(11.69 MiB) Downloaded 10 times
The famous "Wyle Report" from 1973. A very old but very useful in-depth explanation of how isolation works in buildings, and how to get good isolation with the least amount of materials, in the least thickness, for your purposes.

IR-761, from the Canadian National Research Council. A study of several hundred different methods for building isolation walls, all of them tested in a real acoustic laboratory, with full details of construction and results.

IR-802, from the Canadian National Research Council. A study of the isolation provided by various types of floated floors. My own title: "Read this to understand why your floated floor probably won't work, because it is really, really hard to do it right, and no: a plywood deck over 2x4 joists resting on rubber pads will NOT work. Nope. It just wont. Read this to find out why".

floating-floor-The Effects of the Air Space.pdf
(75.31 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
>n article published by Kinetics that shows the physical reasons WHY a plywood deck over 2x4 framing on rubber pads cannot possibly work. Ever. Never. Nope. Really!

IR-693, from the Canadian National Research Council. More studies on how walls isolate, what works, what doesn't.

IR832-wall-isolation-ir832.pdf
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
IR-832, from the Canadian National Research Council. Even more information on isolation in walls.

IR586-TL-in-concrete-block-cavity-walls-with-RC.pdf
(247.68 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
IR-586, from the Canadian National Research Council. What happens when you put up thin drywall in front of a concrete wall using resilient mounting... (Hint: isolation gets worse, not better, for low frequencies)

IR54-Vapor-barrier-and-air-barrier--IR54_e.pdf
(3.04 MiB) Downloaded 6 times
IR-54, from the Canadian National Research Council. What is a "vapor barrier"? What is an "air barrier"? What's the difference? Do you need them in your studio wall?

IRC-resilient.-channel-RC--nrcc44692.pdf
(720.51 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
NRCC-44692, from the Canadian National Research Council. Everything you ever wanted to know about Resilient Channel and how it works, but were afraid to ask....

ITU-BS.1116-3.pdf
(834.53 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
ITU BS.1116-3. What is a "critical listening" room? What are the specifications? Chapters 7 and 8 of this document define exactly what it takes to make a perfect listening environment, such as is needed by a recording studio control room.

--------------------